Our metabolism slows down as we age which can lead to gaining extra, unwanted kilos. Small dietary adjustments can be very helpful and efficient in minimizing weight gain. Try the following recommendations:
1. Start the day with a healthy breakfast. Your metabolism will be increased when enjoying a warm, fresh cooked breakfast or a vegetable juice in the morning.
2. Eat like a king for lunch. Your digestive fire is the strongest around noon. So make lunch the main meal of your day as often as possible for efficient calorie burning.
3. Eat like a bagger a night. Enjoy fresh made and light soups or stews before 7.00 pm as your metabolism will slow down afterwards. Late night eating results in weight gain and weakens your fat metabolism.
4. Avoid ice cold liquids and foods. Cold beverages or foods weaken your digestive fire and slow down your metabolism immensely, therefore contributing to weight gain.
5. Drink dandelion coffee/tea or green tea. Coffee and black tea make you acidic which weakens your body systems and slows down your metabolism. Antioxidant polyphenols in green tea stimulate the body to help burn calories. Also, dandelion coffee/tea has fat metabolizing properties and can lower cholesterol.
6. Use herbs and spices. Turmeric, coriander, fresh ginger, pepper, rosemary, thyme and fennel aid digestion and generate heat in the body, leading to more calories burned.
7. Choose healthy carbohydrates. Replace refined, high-glycemic-index carbohydrates (e.g. flour products from wheat, corn or rice) with unrefined, low-glycemic choices (e.g. whole grains such as barley, spelt, quinoa, kamut, amaranth, millet, and buckwheat). The latter do not cause the spikes in blood glucose levels that encourage the storage of fat.